Saturday, June 11, 2011

Youth Leadership Oklahoma

T-Minus 20 hours until Youth Leadership Oklahoma begins!!!!

This week is why I do what I do and work where I work. Time spent with the most amazing high school juniors is inspiring, exhausting, amazing and hilarious all at the same time. I am so blessed to be able to work for this organization. When I started working here in 2007 when I was preggers with Jackson, I just knew this was exactly where I was supposed to be. And I am even more blessed that they let me do most of my work from home so I can be home playing with my little buddy, Jackson.

From start to finish I have planned this week long trip....I have handled the entire application process and have done every detail (which is so hard for me considering I am sooo NOT a detail person) for this week. I am pumped up and ready to meet these kiddos and show them just what our great state has to offer.

This week we will travel (BY BUS!) to Oklahoma City, Norman, Lawton, Pauls Valley, Tulsa, Stillwater, Enid and then back to Oklahoma City. We will meet most of our state's leaders, big businesses, colleges, and learn how our state really works. These kids will do all sorts of leadership teambuilding and self building. I can't wait to get started!!!

Probably the thing I am looking forward to the most is getting to present the Isaiah Lee Stone Scholarship to one of the students on the trip. Last year's recipient, Thomas Owens from Edmond Memorial High School, was most deserving. He is a National Merit Scholar and is attending OU in the fall. He is EXACTLY what you hope your child will turn out like. So kind, well spoken, outgoing, smart, funny and just an all around great kid.
This scholarship is peer driven so the students pick the recipient at the end of the week after Renzi and I present the story behind the scholarship and criteria. I am so beyond blessed by each one of you who contributed to this fund so that we could start this scholarship and be able to do this every year. What a way to honor our sweet Isaiah!

To follow along on our journeys, go to www.youthleadershipoklahoma.blogspot.com
Our intern, Angel, will be updating every evening with photos and commentary on the day's activities. You can also "like" us on Facebook (Youth Leadership Oklahoma) or follow us on Twitter (YLOKYLOK).

Oh and I will update the blog on Tuesday with the big surprise!
Wish me luck (and lots and lots of patience!) :)
Lee Anne

No comments: