Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Recipe-Tomato Casserole

Don't you just love love love summer vegetables??? I am a tomato-aholic so this time of year when the tomatoes are at their best it is just so exciting to me. (Insert here that I realize I am a total and complete dork).

This past weekend we stopped at a little veggie stand near our lake house and picked up about a million tomatoes, sweet corn and fresh peaches. YUM!

As I was sitting at home sifting through my loot I started to panic thinking what in the world I was going to do with all of these tomatoes. Even I couldn't eat all of them myself! That's when I remembered one of Renzi's and my favorite summer dishes. TOMATO CASSEROLE! We got this recipe from our dear friend Polly Christian and we both love it. It is so so yummy and is even better the second day.

Here is the recipe:
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cups Mayo
1/2 cups Sour Cream
2 cups shredded cheese
One can of pizza dough (thin crust)
1 onion
1 green pepper
Tons and tons of sliced tomatoes!

Brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper in a skillet. Set aside. Mix together mayo, sour cream and cheese in a bowl. Spread the pizza dough out (uncooked) on the bottom of a casserole pan. Spread beef mixture on top of dough. Spread mayo/sourcream/cheese mixture on top of beef mixture. Place sliced tomatoes on top of all of this. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!

Here is a picture of the casserole right before I put it in the oven.


And here is a picture of the casserole right out of the oven. Oh wait....there is no picture. Why is that you may ask? Because we were so hungry and excited to eat it I totally forgot to take a picture.

Hope you all enjoy this as much as we do!
Stay cool everyone!
-Lee Anne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LeAnn, I'm a friend of a friend of yours who has mentioned how great your blog is.
I've been following it for a while and root for you and your adorable family often!
My stomach wanted me to thank you for posting this recipe! Awesome, thanks for sharing.